We can’t immediately change the process of medicine, the stuff that is kind of a drag and wears us down. What we can change, however, is our mindset. In this episode, we dissect several practices for shift preparation with a common goal of operating at a peak level of performance and experiencing more joy in what we do. Today we learn how to pregame, like a pro.
- When the process of practicing medicine becomes your purpose for being a doctor, you’re at risk for burnout, if not worse. [00:30]
- The system will not adjust to what you need right now. You have to adjust yourself. [1:45]
- How accepting gratitude, and other small changes in mindset, can have a logarithmic return on investment. [4:50]
- The ways that many elite-level performers pregame. They rely on their rituals for peak performance. [07:15]
- Physicians are elite-level performers who rarely have the time to mentally prepare for each day. [8:40]
How some doctors pregame (or not)….
- Mike Weinstock doesn’t pregame [12:06]
- Clay Smith’s pregame distraction [13:20]
- Joshua Russell’s sequence of physical, emotional and mental prep [15:10]
- Sabrina Adams the BAFERD [18:00]
- Jaime Hope thinks of her 4 professional identities [19:10]
- Mizuho Morrison’s 3 steps of self talk [21:40]
- Ran Ran biking to work. [24:20]
- Joe Dubois walks to work
- Chris Nickson walks to work
- Ross Fisher calms during his commute.
- Haney Mallemat uses mental visualization.
- Luz Silverio’s pregame ritual is to arrive to work 15 minutes early to “chit-chat” with members of her team.[28:40]
- Alan Sielaff allows sufficient time before the shift to get prepared. [29:30]:
- Dan McCollum starts the day mentally preparing with the 5 Minute Journal.[31:00]
- Reuben Strayer mentally prepare for a shift by practicing mindfulness [32:50]
- Salim Rezaie isolates himself from social media and email for at least 1-2 hours prior to each shift.[35:30]
- Mike Mallin uses intermittent fasting to improve his focus, attitude, and endurance at work. [37:15]
- Rich Hamilton treats a shift like it’s a competitive sport. [38:30]
- Rob’s 2 pregame exercises. [41:10]
- Jocko Willink’s “Good” [44:06]
Learn More: https://www.stimuluspodcast.com/
Complete shownotes for this episode: https://www.stimuluspodcast.com/post/2-pregame-like-a-pro